Monday, February 23, 2009

How Do You Respond to a Bully?

Last year American icon Anheuser-Busch was assimilated into Belgium-based beer borg, InBev.

According to recent stories in Ad Age and elsewhere, it appears the Clydesdales are preparing to run roughshod over their media and advertising services vendors.

I know of at least a few associates in media who are likely to take a pass on becoming de facto lenders to corporate bullies, and will simply sell their available inventory to other advertisers.

Did you read Aesop when you were a kid? Remember this story...?

The Wind and the Sun were disputing which was the stronger. Suddenly they saw a traveler coming down the road, and the Sun said: “I see a way to decide our dispute. Whichever of us can cause that traveler to take off his cloak shall be regarded as the stronger You begin.” So the Sun retired behind a cloud, and the Wind began to blow as hard as it could upon the traveler. But the harder he blew the more closely did the traveler wrap his cloak round him, till at last the Wind had to give up in despair. Then the Sun came out and shone in all his glory upon the traveler, who soon found it too hot to walk with his cloak on.
“KINDNESS EFFECTS MORE THAN SEVERITY.”


Or better still, the words of Jesus that many of us learned to call The Golden Rule, paraphrased thus: Do Unto Others as You Would Have Others Do Unto You.

Now, there's another so-called "golden rule" that a sales trainer of my acquaintance once coined to frame relationships in a free market economy. In his Okie vernacular, he said, "Them that's got the gold makes the rules."

That's true, too. But it cuts both ways.

So, let's say you're a media company or advertising services provider.

You want to be a bank, also? Fine, that's your choice.

Are you going to treat your other accounts with the same courtesy?

Or are you going to discriminate on the basis of a double standard, i.e., those who can intimidate and bully you into submission will get more favorable terms?

Personally, I don't like bullies. Never have.

I don't have to drink their beer. I don't have to buy their cars.

And I certainly don't need their business badly enough that I'm willing to agree to wait four to six months (or more) to be paid for services I render in good faith, in a timely and conscientious manner.

But that's just me. What's your take?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:14 PM

    I've always been amazed at how many of my colleagues -- reps and managers -- don't realize that you can always say no. Politely but firmly. If the business walks, it walks.

    If my work has value, pay me on time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our market 120 is the rule it seems like. What's even better was the national rfp we got this week that noted spot cost and grps are lower this year because radio stations are feeling the pinch. So if you want our business you will have to do more and meet our 1/3 lower cpp. I looked at my rep and asked? Are they lowering their price for consumers? Of course not. I thought to myself how to respond? So I wrote a letter to the head of the agency thanking them for helping me to discover something I thought I'd lost.... My principals. We are offering the same cpp as last year and when and if we ever get asked to lower our price not because things are tough but because the bully can. I hope I'll maintain my principals. My rep was of course upset. But when I asked if I could pay him 1/3 less on his commision he got it. When did kick a guy when he's a down become an American value?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:20 AM

    I'll chime in. I just moved near the NC Coast and put back on the air a C-3 FM radio station that was under an LMA and the company had to repo. We have had to totally build from scratch with office and studio/production equipment, change formats, etc. One day out of the blue one of the local car dealers called and offered me a deal , a 300.00 BUY! Wow! and to top it off he wanted 75 60's for that amount. His rationale, "YOU WILL HAVE A MAJOR CAR DEALER ON AND THAT WILL ATTRACT OTHERS!!" When I explained that I already had other adverisers who were spending more per spot and How abou those? His reply "Nobody will know but ME! I politely said "I will know" and promptly turned down his offer and will continue to do so. So, Bullies will always justify their logic to enhance themselves and make them look like heroes to the owners they work for. I agree, sometimes you just have to say NO. I can sleep well at night and the business is taking off. Integrity means a great deal to me and can only lead to success and the respect from our clients. WE give them good service and work harder for those that know what we can truly do for each other as media partners rather than who wins or loses the dollars game.....Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's time for radio to start a "Buy American Beer" campaign and support the local breweries. Jim Walker KGVY radio

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!