Monday, February 09, 2009

Clients as Spokesmen #4 - One of the best I've heard

A few years back the owner of a radio station in Missouri for whom I'd done some work asked me to evaluate a commercial he'd put together for a local restaurant using the cook's own voice and words.

Listening to Maxine's reminiscence was like sitting across from her at the kitchen table.

It was authentic, right up until the ANNOUNCER jumps in to provide the what-where-and-when information with all the finesse of a cold shower.

Yes, the name and location of the establishment should be included (most of the time). But I can't help wondering if there isn't a better way to convey this information, one that would preserve the "feel" and integrity of Maxine's story.

Press the Play button below to hear the commercial. How would YOU have ended it differently?

2 comments:

  1. If Maxine had a daughter who could do the tag,"My mother does a great buffet...." tie it right back to the opening comment of Maxine cooking with her mother????

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a guy who does retail car dealer ads for a living I know the knee jerk is to have an announcer tie stuff up but for this, not. I would have continued with her something along the lines of: ... and if you don't want to come out for dinner, we've got a Sunday Buffet even my Mother would be proud of. Come out and try it one time. I'm Maxine here at (name of restaurant I couldn't catch after two tries) ... you know where we are, (address)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!